Renting a social or affordable home
If you can’t afford to rent a property privately you may be able to live in one of our social or affordable rented homes.
Where do I start?
Contact your local authority and register using their housing application form. They will assess your needs, looking at things like whether you’re overcrowded where you live now, and taking any medical or social requirements you have into account.
How does it work?
Most local authorities now use a choice-based lettings scheme, which means that available properties are advertised through their website. You can search for, and bid on, any property you want, giving you much more choice.
Five steps to renting a home from us:
- Put your name down on your local authority housing register.
- Use the local authority’s choice-based lettings scheme to look for a suitable home.
- Bid for the home of your choice.
- If you are shortlisted for the property, we will work through a pre-tenancy assessment with you to make sure the home is right for you.
- If you are successful we will offer you the property.
Before moving in we will need your first rent payment in advance.
Find your local authority
Click on an area to find out who the local authority is, and their website to apply for their housing register.