Information for tenants

This section includes extra useful information if you rent a home from Sovereign through an assured, secure or fixed term tenancy. From more about the differences between these types of tenancy to keeping a pet, arranging aids and adaptations or what you need to do to end a tenancy when someone dies. 

There are also articles about grounds maintenance and communal areas (how we look after the land we own and clean the shared parts of blocks of flats) and tips on looking after your home if it’s newly built, as well as more information on whether you may have the right to buy your home. 

Tenancy types

Find out the difference between assured, assured short hold, fixed term and secure tenancies - and license agreements. Understand what happens in your probationary period (if this applies). 

Find out more

Aids and adaptations

Find out how we can help you make everyday life easier by adapting your home or installing simple aids such as handrails. There are different processes for minor and major adaptations. 

Find out more

Keeping a pet

Depending on the type of home you live in, and the type of pet you’d like to keep, you may need our permission. From cats and dogs to caged birds, hamsters, fish and poultry - find out more.

Find out more

Ending a tenancy when someone's died

If you’re in this difficult position, we hope this useful information will tell you all you need to know about what to do, who to tell and what will happen. 

Find out more

Looking after our grounds and communal areas

A quick round up of what Sovereign’s responsible for and the responsibilities of residents – including keeping any communal areas clear of things like bikes, buggies and scooters. 

Find out more

Our standards for grounds maintenance

This page gives you a summary of how we look after the grounds around your home, and any communal areas, as well as how residents can get involved and influence these services. 

Find out more

Aftercare in your new-build home

Newly-built homes need time to settle and dry out, so you may have some minor issues in the first year. More major faults with the build or quality are known as defects. Find out more about both. 

Find out more

Right to buy your home

Some residents have the right to buy their home under the Preserved Right to Buy or the Right to Acquire. Find out more about both these schemes and who may be eligible. 

Find out more

Repairs for tenants

Find out more about your repair responsibilities; kitchen and bathroom upgrades; what you need to know before making your own improvements; and advice on moving into (and living in) a new-build home. 

Find out more