Aids and adaptations

If you or someone you live with has a disability, we can help you make everyday life easier by adapting your home or installing simple aids such as handrails.

Simple aids include:

  • Handrails
  • Grabrails
  • Lever taps

Minor adaptations include:

  • Accessible doorways
  • Overbath showers
  • Dropped kerbs
  • Concrete ramps

Major adaptations include:

  • Level access showers
  • Curved rail stairlifts
  • Through floor lifts 

Are you eligible to request an adaptation?

Simple aids: Anybody who is disabled can request a simple aid, providing the cost is less than £500. We will arrange, pay for and complete the work within 20 working days from the day you ask for the adaptation.

Minor adaptations: For minor adaptations, you’ll need to be recommended by an occupational therapist to make sure we fit equipment suitable for your needs. We’ll pay for these, but they can take up to six months to complete, as we might need to get planning permission or wait for good weather to complete the work. Once we’ve received the request, we’ll let you know how long it will take.

Major adaptations: Major adaptations generally cost more than £2,500. You can apply for a Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) from your local council. This will be means-tested – so you may have to pay towards the cost, depending on your financial situation. If you can't get a DFG, there are some charities that may be able to help you, and we can put you in contact with them.

We’ll help you with the technical side of the process, such as agreeing plans, specifications and getting permissions. We’ll also help your local council to complete the work as quickly as possible.

What to expect if you make a request

You should contact us in the usual way and ask to speak to someone about your needs.

Alternatively, you can request adaptations through your occupational therapist.

It’s always a good idea to contact us first as we might be able to pay for the work, and we may need to give our consent for some adaptations.

If we can’t pay for the adaptations, we'll work closely with your local council’s social services and occupational therapists to help you get the funding you need, assess your home and decide what adaptations will help you the most.

If your home is unsuitable for adaptation we’ll discuss other solutions with you. This may include moving to a more suitable home. 

If your circumstances change

If your circumstances, medical condition or disability changes, you can apply again for an adaptation at a later date.

Read more about the Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) Opens in new window on the website.