What to do when you move out

If you have an assured, secure or fixed term tenancy and you decide you want to move out of your home, you need to give us four weeks’ notice in writing. The four week period will always start from a Monday. 

We will let you know when the keys need to be returned to us and how much rent you need to pay to the end of your tenancy.

We will also arrange for an inspection of your home before you move out.  During this inspection we will let you know of any repairs you need to complete before you move out, to avoid being recharged.  If you have made any alterations to the property without permission, you may be required to change this back to its original state.


What do I need to do before I move out?

There are a number of things you need to do before you move: 

  • Leave the property empty, clean and in good condition. 
  • Carry out any repairs or redecoration that needs doing. If you don’t carry out the work, we might charge you for the cost of getting it done, and if you’re transferring to another one of our homes we could stop the move.
  • Return all the keys – including the gas card and electric key if you have them – to your local office by 10am on the Monday your tenancy ends.
  • Let us know your new address.
  • Continue to pay rent until your tenancy has ended. Make sure your rent account is clear and that any other debt you have with us is paid off. If you still owe rent payments when you leave, we may have to take legal action against you.

What if it’s a joint tenancy, and one person wants to leave?

Both residents should contact us and discuss the tenancy. The residents who would like to remain in the property would need to agree to keep all the terms of the tenancy including payment of the rent. We may then agree to assign the tenancy to them.  


What happens if a resident has died?

We’ll ask a relative, or the person responsible for the resident’s affairs, to fill in a form and send it to us with a copy of the death certificate. We’ll work with and support the family through the notice period and provide advice and guidance if they need it.