Tenancy types

Your tenancy agreement is the legal contract that describes your rights and responsibilities (as the tenant) and our rights and responsibilities (as your landlord).

It also sets out the rent and service charges you need to pay for your home, and describes  the services you can expect from us.

Change of Tenancy Policy - From 1 October 2020 our tenancy policy changed and we’re limiting the use of fixed term tenancies (FTT) for new residents. We also moved the majority of our existing customers onto an assured tenancy (often referred to as a lifetime tenancy) - please see the frequently asked questions on the right of this page for more information.

Please contact us if you have any questions about your tenancy agreement.

Probationary to assured tenancy agreement

Our standard tenancy agreement is a weekly periodic tenancy, which rolls on from week to week without an end date. This gives you a lot of security in your home.

If you’re new to social housing, and don’t already have an assured or secure tenancy with another landlord, you’ll need to successfully complete a one-year probationary period before your tenancy becomes an assured tenancy.

During the probationary period:

  • We’ll monitor your tenancy to make sure you’re keeping to the terms.
  • A member of the housing team will contact you six weeks from when your tenancy started and again after nine months. These contacts are a condition of your tenancy so it’s important you engage with them
  • If we get complaints that you (or visitors to your home) have been acting in an anti-social way, we’ll investigate these allegations. If we find the complaints are justified, we can extend your probationary tenancy by up to six months or end it altogether.   
  • If, during the probationary year, you don’t stick to the terms of your tenancy (for example, by not paying your rent on time, behaving in an anti-social way or not looking after your home), we may extend your probationary period for six months, or we could end your tenancy.
  • Ending a tenancy is less complicated when you’re on a probationary tenancy. You don’t have a legal right to appeal, but you can write to ask us to review your case. This must be within 14 calendar days of the Notice Requiring Possession. You can also get help and advice from the Homelessness team at your local council, Citizens Advice or Shelter (0808 800 4444 – free from landlines and most mobiles).
  • If you successfully complete your probationary period, your tenancy will automatically convert into an assured tenancy. You won’t need to sign a new agreement, but we’ll send you a letter confirming everything.

Assured tenancy agreement

This is a ‘lifetime’ tenancy, which usually means you can stay in your property for the rest of your life, so long as you don’t break any rules in your tenancy agreement.

Assured short hold tenancy agreement

If your accommodation is temporary, you’ll be given an assured short hold tenancy.  As an Assured Short hold tenant, you have fewer rights. For example, you won’t be eligible to apply for a mutual exchange. If you breach any tenancy conditions we can act quickly and you could lose your tenancy.

Fixed term tenancy agreement

A fixed term tenancy with us lasts for five years and is given when you’re moving into a four bed or larger home, and don’t already have an assured or secure tenancy with your current landlord. 

If you’re being given a fixed term tenancy and you’re new to social housing, you will need to successfully complete a one-year probationary period before your tenancy becomes a fixed term tenancy.

Secure tenancy agreement

We don’t grant secure tenancies, but you may still have one. This is possible if you started to rent your home before 1989 or swapped homes with someone who had this type of tenancy.  A secure tenancy gives you more rights than an assured or fixed term agreement.

License agreement

The main difference between a tenancy and a license is that a license agreement usually gives you less protection from eviction. You might have this type of agreement if you live in temporary accommodation or a supported scheme, or if you rent a garage or hardstanding from us