Checking the condition of your home
If you have an assured, secure or fixed term tenancy and have requested an exchange or transfer, we’ll inspect your property after we receive your application. You’ll need to make sure that we can easily view all rooms and walls. Please take down posters and pictures and move large furniture away from the wall. Before the inspection, it’s a good idea to have a look at whether your home is up to scratch and, if needed, spend some time putting things right.
We won't be able to agree an exchange or transfer if the property’s not in a good condition. Check the condition of the following in your home:
- All existing kitchen units and worktops should be in a reasonable condition (clean and with no chips or scratches).
- Cupboard doors should be fitted correctly and the handles should be secure.
Bathroom and toilets
- The bath, basin and toilet should be free from cracks and stains, with plugs and chains attached.
- The taps should be clean and in good working order.
Flooring and staircases
- Floors, staircases, banisters and handrails should be sound and free from damage.
Doors and windows
- Front and rear external doors should be sound and secure.
- Windows should be sound and secure. Keys should be provided for windows with locks.
- Internal doors should be in good order and any missing or damaged doors should be repaired or replaced.
- Skirting boards and door frames should be in good order.
- All wall surfaces should be in a good state of repair.
- Any graffiti should be removed.
- All gardens should be tidy and free from any personal belongings or hazards.
- Any ponds should be filled in.
- If you've used your own light fittings, and don't have a certificate of installation from a professional contractor you'll need to return them to their original condition.
- If you have repairs that are our responsibility, please report them to us before we visit.
- Please provide our written permission for any alternations or improvements you've completed.
Before you move
- When it’s time to move, you'll need to make sure your home and garden, including loft space and garages, are free from belongings and rubbish.