Our RightSizing offer
We understand that your housing needs and wants change over time and we’re committed to supporting you to move to a home that better meets your needs.
You may no longer need the size of your current home because your children have left home (leaving spare bedrooms), or you want a simpler life and reduce your rent and household costs. Or maybe you’re no longer able to maintain your home and garden. Whatever the reason, we want to support you to find a home that suits your needs. We call this RightSizing.
Larger homes especially four beds and above are in high demand, with lots of families on the waiting lists and living in overcrowded households. Our RightSizing offer is for customers living in these larger homes to move and free up these homes for larger families. If you want to keep a spare bedroom for family to come and stay, you can as long as you can afford it. But you must downsize by at least 2 bedrooms to be eligible.
If you’re looking to move home, then you’ll need to register with your Local Authority. You could also apply to SNG to be considered for Sovereign Home Transfer which is our internal transfer list where we are able to give some priority to our customers who are RightSizing:
We recognise that moving home can be expensive and we may be able to support you with this.
Find out more on RightSizing
We have developed some principles on the support we can offer so that we have a fair and transparent approach to RightSizing.
- Introduce an application process to assess eligibility.
- Prioritise customers who are RightSizing by a minimum of two bedrooms (4 bed to 2 bed, 3 bed to 1 bed).
- Prioritise Local Authority areas where we have the highest under occupation and need for larger homes.
- Support customers unable to move without the support of the RightSizing Fund.
Existing Sovereign customers who:
- Have completed an eligibility assessment and have scored highly in our 3 priority areas - Financial, Health and Maintenance of the Home.
- Are RightSizing by a minimum of 2 bedrooms e.g. 4 bed to a 2 bed, 3 bed to a 1 bed.
- Could not afford to move without the support of the RightSizing Fund.
- Live in one of our priority Local Authority areas where there is a demand for larger homes or matches our asset management disposal activity.
- In some cases customers may not be approved for RightSizing help, but will be offered other forms of assistance, such as access to the Cost Of Living, or Welfare Fund.
We’ll provide you with advice on the best options in the area you’d like to move to. This can be applying to the Local Authority or if it’s an area where we have nomination rights help with applying for an internal transfer through Sovereign Home Transfer.
Please note: If you’re planning to move by a mutual exchange, you will not be eligible for the RightSizing fund because you won’t be releasing a larger home for another household in need.
Financial support up to £4,000 depending on the size of the homes, and the customer’s needs. This can be used to:
- Cover costs of moving, new flooring etc.
- Covering the cost of any repairs to the home that they are responsible for to avoid any recharges
- Covering the rent of the new home for a period of time (i.e. if the rent is higher).
The amounts we may be able to offer are up to:
- 3 bedroom - £2,500
- 4 bedroom - £3,000
- 5 bedroom - £3,500
- 6 bedroom - £4,000
The amount is dependent on the needs of the customer and will be used to pay for various services or to clear costs and not paid as a lump sum to the customer. We have discretion to increase the financial support offered in certain circumstances.
Fill in our Rightsizing eligibility assessment form. We will then review your form and contact you to let you know whether you meet the criteria to Rightsize.