Fire safety for shared owners or leaseholders

If you’re a shared owner or leaseholder, you’re responsible for gas, oil and solid fuel appliance and electrical tests to your home, as well as maintaining and testing smoke alarms.  

If you live in a building with shared areas, Sovereign is responsible for managing fire safety in these areas and for any communal gas or electrical installations. 

This means you’re responsible for making sure that a 'Gas Safe' registered engineer services the heating system every year and, if you want to fit any gas appliances, you’ll also need to employ a 'Gas Safe' registered engineer to do the work. You must also make sure that a qualified electrical engineer carries out any electrical work to your home. Our leaseholder responsibilities page tells you more. 

Get fire smart 

There’s a lot that you can also do to Get Fire Smart and protect your family and your home from the danger of fire. 

(If you're a tenant, please visit our fire safety for tenants page for information that's tailored to your responsibilities.)

Follow the advice below

We review fire safety in all of our taller buildings Opens in new window each year to make sure our advice is correct and to identify any improvements we can carry out to make our homes even safer.   

Our safety in communal areas page also explains why you must not use corridors and escape routes to store any possessions, to dump unwanted goods or for decorative items outside your front door. This includes bicycles or pushchairs. 

We also work with Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service about fire safety in our homes. Check out their website Opens in new window for what to do if a fire occurred in your flat or block. 

This film of an evacuation drill with the fire service at one of our housing for older people schemes gives some more top tips.  

If you would like to see subtitles for the video, please click on the CC button at the bottom of the video.  

Read the transcript of the 'fire safety in flats and shared buildings' video Opens in new window.

More information 

For more information, the government's Fire Kills Opens in new window website has lots of tips. You can also contact your local fire service for advice (some can arrange a free home fire safety check) by visiting Opens in new window
If you’d like some more advice on any aspect of safety, please contact us Opens in new window