If you think there’s asbestos in your home, you may be worried about the possible dangers. But if asbestos is left undisturbed, it shouldn’t cause any health risk. If we suspect that asbestos could be a hazard, we’ll take action right away.

What is asbestos? 

Asbestos is the name for a group of fibrous minerals which are mechanically strong and resistant to heat, moisture and chemicals. It was a popular building material widely used between 1950 and 1999. Properties built since the mid-1990s, and particularly after 1999, are unlikely to contain asbestos.   

What are the risks?

If left undisturbed and covered, for example if painted, it generally isn’t a risk. Asbestos only becomes dangerous when the material it’s in gets damaged or disturbed – for example if it’s cut or is drilled into during building work or DIY. When this happens, tiny asbestos fibres can get released into the air, which can be breathed in.   

How is asbestos identified? 

It’s not always easy to tell whether a product contains asbestos, as modern materials often look similar. The only way to be sure is through laboratory analysis. We have specialist surveyors who will inspect your home for asbestos if we believe it’s a risk.

How do we deal with it?  

If we find any materials containing asbestos that have been damaged, we’ll use specialist contractors to remove them right away.