EWS stands for External Wall Survey

An EWS1 form provides independent certification that an external wall system on residential buildings has been assessed for safety by a suitable expert, in line with government guidance. This is not a legal requirement but some lenders request the EWS1 form before they will consider offering a mortgage.

The EWS1 form applies only to flats and is relevant to you if you’re a leaseholder or shared owner who wants to staircase (buy a greater share of your property), remortgage, or sell your property.

Not all blocks of flats need an EWS1. We have carried out external wall surveys and obtained an EWS1 form for blocks we own that meet the criteria devised by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).