EWS1 forms

FAQs for shared owners of flats and leaseholders

Earlier this year, the government issued revised guidance on building safety standards for flats within apartment blocks. As a result, buildings of any height are now potentially in scope for requiring the EWS1 (external wall system) form devised by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

If you’re thinking about selling, remortgaging or staircasing your home, you need to be aware of government advice and changes to lenders’ approaches.

While many blocks won’t require a form, EWS1 certification requires a new assessment of some buildings by a qualified, independent professional to establish if the external wall system meets the new fire risk standards, or whether remedial work is needed.

Without this new EWS1 form, many lenders will not offer a mortgage or remortgage on a property.

We understand this is a difficult situation and is affecting life-changing decisions for our customers where they’re unable to sell, remortgage or staircase their property. We apologise to everyone that this is affecting.

We’re doing everything in our power to respond and adapt to the new system put in place by the government, and the safety of our buildings remains our highest priority.